Cox, Mr George
George Adolphus Cox: was not a singer but an intermediary acknowledged in Folk Songs from Somerset vol1. Mr Cox was the agent for the Somerset Trading Company, which was founded by Robert Bagehot in the 1820/30s to bring coal, salt, timber and other goods up the River Parrett from Bridgwater to Langport for onwards distribution to surrounding area. The company was based at Great Bow Wharf on the eastern side of Bow Bridge, directly opposite the Railway Hotel, which was on the western bank of the river. It’s likely that it was George Cox who tipped Sharp off that there were singers right across the river from him and in the local pub too!
George Cox was born in Poole, Dorset, the son of a tolls collector who came originally from the Langport area. George moved back to Langport and at High Ham Church in 1878 married Elizabeth Ann Culliford, daughter of Richard Culliford, a road contractor. In 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses George was shown as the manager of the Somerset Trading Company, living at Bridge House (7 rooms). He had 2 daughters Frances & Ida May as well as 2 sons Herbert & Marwood.
Mr Cox himself was very musical, contributing to a ‘successful entertainment given at the Workhouse by Mr & Mrs Coggan and some Somerton friends on Tuesday evening; Some capital songs by Mr Cox of Langport’ (Langport & Somerton Herald Feb 6th 1904: George Cox was the only Cox in the town). His eldest daughter Frances ‘displayed a powerful soprano voice’ at a sacred concert held at Langport Congregational church (L&S Herald April 9th 1904). The other daughter Ida May Cox was listed as a music teacher, living at home, in the 1911 census. All three took part in a concert in Hambridge organised by Rev Marson (Langport & Somerton Herald 30 Apr 1904). George Cox died in April 1915.